Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Birthday Party, Brazilian Style






In 1998 I met a 15 year old girl named Daniele in a small town called Novo Airao, along the shore of the Rio Negro. We became friends and stayed in touch as I was able to visit her town year after year with different groups of young American doctors who were studying tropical medicine. Eventually, I was able to help Daniele go to college. She got a degree in Pharmacology/Biochemistry and did so well that she received a full scholarship to go on and obtain a Master's Degree. She has completed that as well. On 20 July Daniele invited me to attend the birthday party for her baby (Maria Fernanda), celebrating one year of life. I went, and was thoroughly impressed with the gala. Perhaps 200 people attended. There was a live band, a magician performing at tables, a fine buffet dinner, and possibly thousands of intricate "party favors" for the guests to take home.

1 comment:

  1. What a fantabulous birthday party! Everything is perfect here. I am going to save this post for sure and find one of the event venues just like this. I have never seen such a birthday party before. Even I would like to do something like this for my daughter on her birthday.

    ReplyDelete